Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: buying my first S8 camera

  1. #1
    Inactive Member electroroland's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2002
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello. I've recently become interested in super 8 filmmaking. I've been shopping on ebay for my first camera, but I've had no luck yet. I wanted to ask you all if you had any suggestions for a decent and easily available first camera. I don't want to spend over a hundred dollars. Fortunately many cameras can be had for that price.

    Thanks,
    Roland
    ps. if anyone has a camera for sale...

  2. #2
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Roland,
    First look at this website, though I wouldn't take some of the specs as gospel. Anssi, the guy who did the site, also gives prices he paid for some models and don't go by those at all! You might be better off 'watching' the going prices on ebay first. Be careful if you see some newbies on ebay trying to get a camera, they may pay anything to get their hands on one they've fallen in love with. Whatever you do, never put some astronomically high price down intending to win because I've read other people on this very board do that too! You might pay $275 for Canon 814, though I HAVE NOT done that. The nice thing about ebay is that somehow everything comes around again! Or even ask around here on the board.
    Enough about ebay...
    My recommendation is for about exactly $100 you can probably score a Canon 814 or 814E. They are a sturdy model, have a nice lens and not too noisy. I got my first 814, (I've got both), for $36 on ebay as a buy it now!
    Good Luck
    -Chris

    http://www.kolumbus.fi/puistot/

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    From my experience with different super 8mm camera. First of all, how much are you planning to spend that way i can make some suggest. canon 814 real neat but it is not xls which will cost about 600 to 800 dollars. Try seek for nizo, nikon, minolta, so canon too. Let me know what you found and bid it! Jerome, deaf filmmaker

  4. #4
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I understand that the 814 xls is a completely different camera than the silent 814's. They are full of features, dissolves, adjustable shutter and sound ability. I'm still looking for a rare 814 XL, not the sound model you were referring to. They never show up much and I hear they cannot run 24 fps. Maybe I don't want one after all!

    Actually, I have shot Ektachrome VNF 7240 with my 814 in very, very low light with good results! I filmed the Flying Luttenbachers in a place lit with only a few lightbulbs and I got away with it at 18 fps. Footage looked pretty sharp, though colors were sorta brownish, but sharp!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member AkivaFilms's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm certainly not a pro, but I do work in the film industry as a producer.

    When I shoot 8mm, I use a Canon 814 and have gotten great results. Most of the directors that I work with also like the 814 (music vids, commercials).

    When you really begin to undertsand film, I think you'll find that a good camera is only half the battle. I recommend an 814 because you get a sharp image, they are versatile and they are relatively cheap (no more than $100--good deal for a beginner).

    There are, of course, many good cameras out there. The most important thing is to get one and start shooting...at all costs.

    Take care,

    Ambervision

  6. #6
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am newbie too. I own a Bell & Howell MS45 which
    is nice because it has multiple frame rates
    including time lapse and the exposure can be set
    manually. In gerneral the best S8 cameras are the
    ones made by the brand name still cameras (ie Canon). But for someone starting out I think
    the most important feature is being able to set
    your exposure manually. You need manual exposure
    to get great looking film and to learn about
    using light so you can improve with each film
    you shoot. Any other features are gravey.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bucaneer american's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2002
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you have an ms45! have you heard of a ms30? the model below yours. i bought one at a goodwill for 10 bucks. what little info i could find on the web (one site had it for sale, but no info at all on it) has told me that i got a great deal. (the camrea on the site went for 150.) if you know anything at all about my camera, could you let me know

  8. #8
    Inactive Member ryznardesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2002
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How does the Canon 1014 compare to the 814? I saw the 1014 on ebay for about $150. Is it a better camera?

    Thanks for any opinions,

    Mike

  9. #9
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the 1014 has a better zoom range and will do lap dissolves. the 814e will not. the 1214 is the grandaddy. a huge zoom range, but no 24fps. i have both the 814az and the 814e. professionally, the lens is better on the 814e. it has, from what i understand better coatings and it has macro. i have shot sync with the 814e, and it has a pc flash socket. but, the ole' 814az is a great workhorse of a camera. the lens is just perfect for black & white work. i think this has to do with the fact that even though it is a coated lens, there were developments that gave the later cameras higher contrast. the 814az seems to be, in my opinion, the perfect plus-X camera. i have never shot better plus-X than with my older 814az. i like it so much, i spent $125.00 for an overhual. well worth the money too. and, it makes fine color pictures too.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 28, 2002 02:18 PM: Message edited by: rollemfilm ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •